Monday, July 8, 2013

Maaahonday, in the office, think it was the elv'nth of July.

Sup peeps?  It's been a good week. They all are. But this has been a good week for growing.
I always have things in my head to write about before I sit down. Then I forget what.
Maybe I'll remember. Maybe not.

MONDAY! Elder Ledezma wanted to go to a store called Tokyo Discount. So we did. It was insane. It was like walking into a foreign country. Different language, different culture/music/everything. I felt super uncomfortable inside so I stood by the door with Elder Reiley. It was just full of weird Japanese toys and games and dolls and other stuff. After the regular pday things went to our lessons but they all flaked on us so we had a lot of time to try to find new people to teach. We had 2 very interesting and very different street contacts. I was on splits with a prospective Elder. First we talked to a group of black southern Baptist women. We talked with them about their church and beliefs and their "prayer dancing." We asked if they would be interested in learning more about the prophet we have on the earth today (not just like that of course, we talked more about it and his importance) they said, “no.” Then we asked if they were willing to take a chance to gain more faith in Jesus Christ and they did everything they could to deflect the question without saying straight up “no.” It was interesting to see them 'struggle' a little bit. The second stand out contact was one with a woman who had been praying all day to find more happiness in her life. At the end of the day right before going to bed she went out to take her dog for a walk. She opened the door like just as we walked by it.  She was so interested and asked so many questions. Before we took off she told us how God's timing is perfect. She knew that we were an answer to her prayers. We testified that by centering her life on Jesus Christ she could find more happiness and her eyes like bugged out. We had what she was looking for. God's timing really is perfect. Desire, faith, real intent, that's the way to receive revelation. And she did. It was cool to be a part of that. That night I started and exchange with Elder Smith.

TUESDAY! It was 115 degrees out and I was biking all day. It was hot. I sweat through my backpack, which is normal, but this time I could like wring it out. Ohhh it was gross. I think I must have drunk at least 12 liters of water. I love Elder Smith. I don’t want to be cocky but he looks up to me like I look up to Elder Slik. We didn't really have a chance to do much teaching which was too bad but it was a good day nonetheless. The highlight of the night was helping a family create their own family mission plan. They were so excited and focused and ready to bring the power and spirit of missionary work into their home. They were making plans for how to help Hasten the Work of Salvation. https://www.lds.org/training/wwlt/2013/hastening/special-broadcast?lang=eng  (Watch this if you haven't! If you have watch it again and live it! These are things that we can do, and have been asked to do that can change the course of someone's eternal life.) The spirit was so strong as we talked about goals and plans for how they can serve others. Desire Drives Destiny! OHHH! I loved it! Family mission plans are the best.

WEDNESDAY! Today was sick. I got to go on mini exchanges with Elder Martinez! The one from Mexico who used to be my district leader. He goes home this transfer and we had a great afternoon doing service in the blazing heat and talking with some incredibly prepared people. EM is so awesome. I look up to him a lot. One of the best street contacts ever today. She was so prepared. EM and I testified of the Book of Mormon and she asked for a copy right then. It was so powerful. We spoke of happiness and she wanted it so bad. It was cool. She also testified that she knew this was God's timing. She was at a low and she's seen the missionaries a lot but they never have stopped to talk to her until Wednesday. (Grr that made me a little upset. There are prepared people everywhere if we will just open our eyes and talk to them.) Her desire to learn more of the Book of Mormon was awesome. The spirit was so strong as we testified of Christ and his atoning power. I know that through the ordinances of the gospel and the keeping of the commandments she will find that happiness she has been seeking. THE A.'S CAME BACK FROM MEXICO! We taught them a lesson about prayer and they shared a sick spiritual experience with prayer. I don’t have time to explain more but basically they prayed with their family and had an amazing day and really felt the Spirit and what they described as “joy given by God.” 

THURSDAY! 4th of July. It was the first time that I could really remember that I was a missionary a year ago. It goes too fast. I can talk more about memories in 2 years... Okay. I think you all know this already but, I love street contacting. Talking to people in the street is one of my favorite things to do. I love talking to everyone I can and seeing the different types of people there are in this world and getting to know them. It’s bomb. It’s also one of the things that I'm best at as well, I think. Today we jumped a guy's car. He was sooo grateful. WOah. Then we had another interesting experience. We were walking towards the car when a woman came up to talk to us. She was very flustered and upset. She had been praying all day for help with her son. She saw us and knew we could help. We said a prayer with her and read from the Book of Mormon too. We tried to go visit her son, but he slammed the door harder than almost anyone else I've ever seen. Like he did a wind up just to make sure we knew that he didn't - insert expletives here - care. But we were able to comfort his mom. We had a good lesson with Amelia and Leo. We read “The Family: A Proclamation to the World” with their family and talked about it. It was a cool lesson. Leo is progressing so, soo fast. Like Sunday at church, he was making comments and asking questions. It’s incredible to be teaching a man who is ready and willing to make so many changes. AHH it’s sick. 

FRIDAY! We had Zone Training Meeting. Elder Slik is so bomb. I look up to him like crazy. More on this later. 

Just in case I don’t get to finish. I’m gonna try to come back.
I love you all so much
Sam


PART 2
We had a lesson with Martha. She's been sad lately bc all her friends have gone out of town and she misses her husband who passed away. At dinner our member talked a lot about missionary work. It was cool. 

SATURDAY! Today was a special day. We got to help out President Foote [former member of the Las Vegas mission presidency] move and get ready for his mission in Germany. That was super cool to talk with him and hear his thoughts about missionary work and all the things he learned. We did our planning today. At night we had a funny visit with a less active member where we just sat in the dark talking. He doesn’t'  like the lights...

SUNDAY! Church was bomb. We tried to teach 5 lessons but we fell short. But it was fun trying. At night Amelia and Leo made us serviche. 
That's the week!
Part 2 is kinda weak but no big.

okie dokie. 
I love you all 
Sam 

No comments:

Post a Comment